Monday, February 10, 2014

WHAT DOES A FULL TIME MUSICIAN ACTUALLY DO ALL DAY ( GUEST POST)

jdeicher
JD Eicher is not only a talented singer/songwriter, but a very good friend and former tourmate. So we’re especially excited to have him as a guest writer. If you recall, we interviewed him a few years back (you can read that here).  Since then, JD Eicher & The Goodnights have been picked up by management, a booking agent, and are on their way up – waaay up! 
For our 3rd post in this week’s series JD talks about finding balance in a schedule that changes from day to day. 
___________________________________________________
What do I do all day? It can vary a little bit – especially during the holidays – but I generally like to keep a pretty strict schedule:
  • 11:15a-11:30a – Wake up, go to the bathroom
  • 11:30a-1p – Xbox
  • 1p-3:30p – Xbox, snacks
  • 3:30p-5p – Nap
  • 5p-5:15p – Wake up, go to the bathroom
  • 5:15p-7p – Eat something, maybe play some Xbox if I’m not busy
  • 7p-7:30p – Answer a few emails
  • 7:30p-8:30p – Shower, get ready to go out
  • 8:30ish -??? – Limo arrives, cocaine/nightclubs  
…Okay, maybe some of that is a joke. But I’m pretty sure there is a percentage of people out there who really believe the life of a full-time musician is somewhere in that ballpark. Maybe it is for somebody, but I don’t know ‘em. Frankly, I think all the eye strain from the Xbox would make that kind of living a real struggle.

“I think any full-timer will tell you that it’s a lot, 
but that it’s also worth it.”


These days, my day-to-day is all over the place. Perhaps the biggest challenge with this lifestyle is that you very rarely get a regular schedule. All of the shows, travel, and odd projects keep things pretty disjointed. For me, this means finding ways to maintain some sort of balance, and the best system I’ve found so far is to make categories. I break my daily tasks into groups, and the focus is more on what and less on when. Here’s a sampling of some of the daily stuff I try to do:
  • Emails/social media
  • My work “to-do” list
  • Practice/write music
  • Financials
  • Ongoing projects/booking/etc.
  • Planning travel/coordinating the band
  • Eat/exercise/hygiene (hopefully I get to this…)
These are ongoing, and I know they will each take up a solid block of time. Since each day is different, I try to squeeze these blocks wherever they’ll fit in a given day. For example, I’m home tomorrow until around noon and then hit the road for Philly (about a six hour drive). Then I’m at the show until late. My likely play will be to get up around 6a or 7a, do some of the “to-do” list, work on a project I’ve been putting off, skip practice since I’m playing a show, and then do emails/social at the venue after sound check.
jd-eicher cd
new album
I won’t get to everything, but maybe I’ll put a dent in it.   The next day is a double-header at Penn State Main, and I’ve got an early morning drive to a noontime show, followed by a second show there later that night. Probably the only work I’ll get done that day will be in between shows, holed up in a coffee shop or restaurant with Wi-Fi.
The story continues in much the same way, and since the schedule is always changing, I find my comfort/security in a flexible routine with clear goals. Sometimes it gets messy and things feel really off balance, but then I get to play some music, and it all goes away.   I think any full-timer will tell you that it’s a lot, but that it’s also worth it. I get tired, but I don’t get tired of what I do. I’m sure it’s like any other job – if you love it, you’ll grind it out.
JD EICHER ONLINEOfficial 
Facebook 
Twitter 
Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment